Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Book Review: Ondine by Ebony McKenna


"What is the point of falling in love with a man if he turns back into a ferret when the moon goes down?"

Brugel is a country where the strange and unusual are not only tolerated, they are encouraged. So when Ondine finds was appears to be cute little ferret in her secret stash of food at Psychic Summer Camp, she unwittingly adopts him & doesn't bat an eyelash. When Shambles the Ferret turns out to be seriously hot Hamish McPhee the Laird of Glen Logan, a dark haired boy with roguish twinkle in his green eyes & a scottish brogue, cursed into the shape of a ferret for 80 years, things get a bit complicated.

Throw in a secret long-lost treasure, a historical mystery, secret romances, witchy aunt Col, an assassination attempt & handsome Lord Vincent, Ondine is having seriously difficult time keeping herself out of trouble, let alone finding the time to break the spell, with or without Shambles' help.

When I first started reading it I thought maybe this is a just another book aimed at the pre-teen to mid teen audience but as the story progressed I couldn't help but be sucked into the fairy tale and the hilarious witty banter, not to mention being educated in scottish brogue or entertained with fun facts by the author's footnotes that can be found on pages every so often.


"Ye canty wrassler, A'll dun't ye!"(1) His accent came back thick & strong. "A'll gar claw whaur it's no yeukie!(2) A'll saut brose, Old Col!(3) Ma tongue isna unner yer belt!(4)"

(1) You liar, I'm going to bash you. (2) I'll put my fist where it's not welcome. (3) I'll get my revenge. (4) And don't think about trying to silence me.

I don't want to ruin it for you, so I'll just say Shambles is guaranteed to give you a few chuckles, it definitely did have me giggling on the bus.

One Girl. One Boy. One Spell to be Broken...

One Seriously Entertaining Book to be Read!!!

Pages: 292

2 comments:

  1. Oh this looks awesome! I wonder if you're planning to watch Undine, that movie coming out with Colin Farrell? It looks quite pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I haven't heard about it...
    *goes & googles it*

    Ah, it's a Film Festival movie, hence no hype.
    I'll have to check out the trailer at home coz work thinks Youtube is Evil and have blocked it, sigh*

    Still looks interesting though, so I'll definitely check it out. How about you?

    ReplyDelete